For the most part, I don’t like eating burritos because I thought they are food stuffed with too much meat. But when learned that Mexicali offers steaming affairs of burritos with grilled vegetable stuffing, we just had to get in and try.
Review of Mexicali (Robinsons Place, Manila)
Everywhere was colorful and vibrant. The dining area was rectangular with limited seating capacity. The design did not exactly have a semblance with Mexican restos but was pleasant anyway.
This branch of Mexicali is not one with glass enclosure but that which only has one wall where the counter table stands against. The seats faced people walking in the mall, so if you are conscious on how you look while eating, this restaurant won’t be for your liking.
Service was as expected. Mexicali is pay-as-you-order restaurant. The dishes would be served by the staff later on the table.
Tightly rolled, Mexicali’s vegetarian burrito (PHp 145) did not taste so well until I tossed on some salsa and other condiments. The chilli sauce brought sneaky heat. It was that sort of hotness that could build pressure enough to sympathize with cartoon characters who get so red in the face that steam comes out of their ears.
To tame the flavor down, I drank water and had bites of the Mexican nacho chips (PHp 119 for solo and PHp 239 for sharing) that let my tongue dance. Yup, the nachos were that crispy as any other chips are. No big deal.
I give two stars this time since Mexicali’s vegetarian food, though made with quality ingredients as claimed, did not satisfy my well-trained taste buds. 😆 I might visit next time and order a different set to give this restaurant another chance. Fajitas, grilled shrimp plate, quesadillas and their combo meals look good on the menu.
Price for Value: ★★★☆☆
Compared to American-style Mexican restaurants that sell basic Mexican food, Mexicali is rated relatively cheap. Each order is priced at about Php 101 to Php 300.
2nd Floor Robinson’s Place Manila, Pedro Gil cor. Adriatico St., Ermita, Manila, Ermita
For inquiries, call (02) 400-6869
- Upper Ground Level, Bldg. A, SM Me gamall, EDSA corner J. Vargas Ave., Brgy. Wack-Wack, Mandaluyong City, Wack-Wack | 635-6079
- EDSA corner Ortigas Avenue, Quezon City, Ortigas
American | 636-7775
- Promenade Mall, Greenhills Shopping Center, Ortigas Ave., Greenhills, San Juan, Greenhills | 725-3921
- 3/F Yuchengo Tower RCBC Plaza, Ayala Ave., Makati City, Central Bus. Dist.
- Trinoma, EDSA corner North Avenue, North Triangle, Quezon City, North Avenue | 916-6477
- The Link, North Drive cor. Makati Ave., Makati, Metro Manila, Central Bus. Dist. | 701-2350
- New Glorietta Mall, Ayala Center, Makati City, Central Bus. Dist.
- G/F The link, Ayala Center, Makati City., Central Bus. Dist.
- G/F JVR Bldg., 5782 Felipe St. Bel-air, Makati, Bel-Air | 895-1919
- 2/F Glorietta 1, Ayala Center, Makati, Central Bus. Dist.
- 4th Floor (near cinemas), SM City North EDSA, North Avenue cor. EDSA, Quezon City, North Avenue | 442-0096
- Quirino Avenue cor Regalado St., Greater Lagro, Quezon City, Fairview, 1121
- Podium 3, 3rd Floor, RCBC Plaza, Ayala Avenue corner Gil Puyat, Makati, Makati
- 3rd Level, Eastwood City Cybermall, 188 E. Rodriguez Jr. Avenue, Quezon City, Quezon City
- The Block, SM City North Edsa, North Avenue corner EDSA, Quezon City, North Avenue
- Mall of Asia Complex, J.W. Diokno Boulevard corner EDSA, Bay City, Pasay City, Pasay