A dead battery is an inconvenience that has a simple solution. You just need to get a new auto battery and replace the old one. You can avoid the tow truck or car mechanic’s fee if you change your car battery yourself or let one of AutoZone’s technicians do it.
Basic Steps For Changing a Car Battery
Although the exact procedure for your car may vary based on where the battery is located, the process is similar for most vehicles:
- Put your car in park. Make sure it’s on even ground. Let the engine cool off before changing the battery. Have protective gear: gloves to protect your hands; long sleeves to protect your arms; and close-toed shoes to protect your feet.
- Find your battery. In most cases, you can pop the hood and it’s right there. Consult your owner’s manual to check for specific information for your car.
- Loosen the nut that holds the battery in.
- Disconnect the black cable, AKA the negative or ground cable, first. Then remove the red cable, AKA the positive cable. Don’t let them touch each other or any metal parts or the engine.
- Remove any bars or fasteners on the battery to take the battery out of the car.
- Lift the battery out of the car. Hold it level. It will be heavy, so use caution. Wear gloves to protect your hands.
- Clean the battery cables if they are corroded. If they are damaged, you’ll need to replace them.
- Install the new battery and secure it down.
- Replace the red cable first, then the black one.
- Make sure the battery is secure and completely stationary.
- Close the hood and start the car. If the car doesn’t start, you made to have it serviced by a certified technician.
Make sure to dispose of the old battery correctly in your community. You can bring the old battery to AutoZone when you buy your new Duralast battery.
Can I Replace A Car Battery Myself?
Changing a car battery is something that most people can manage on their own. You’ll need a wrench or pliers, a couple of rags, your owner’s manual and protective gloves. If your battery’s connections are corroded, you may want to have some baking soda and water with an old toothbrush to clean to the terminals or cables. Just make sure that your car is on stable ground and the engine is cool. Put on the parking brake and follow the car manual’s guide.
Does AutoZone Replace Your Car Battery?
If you don’t feel comfortable changing your car battery on your own, you can ask the techs at AutoZone to change it for you. If you think your battery is getting to the end of its life, bring your car to AutoZone for free battery testing. We can help you find the correct battery replacement for your make and model. If you buy your new battery from us, under certain circumstances, we will change the battery. If the battery is easy to change without removing other components, our techs provide this free service. Stop by a local store to get more information.
Nice and simple guide that car owners can follow through it.